The Importance of a Fulfilling Sex Life
In addition to the importance of sexual intercourse for reproduction, this activity is also pivotal for numerous other aspects in any committed relationship. Sex is about pleasure, intimacy, and sexual expressions and it brings positive emotional, mental, physical, intellectual, and social advantages, as noted by Celeste Morales.
When partners realize these individual benefits, as Morales further emphasizes, they will also come to learn that this will also strengthen their connection and contribute to a deeper meaning of intimacy in their relationship. Being sexually healthy does not just mean avoiding unplanned pregnancy and illnesses, but understanding the impact of sex in your life, as explained by the American Sexual Health Association. Therefore, this article focuses on presenting the major benefits from leading a fulfilling sex life and offers an insight into the meaning of sexual health.
The Major Health Benefits of Having Regular Intercourse
- Fewer headaches
According to Health Line, sexual intercourse can alleviate headaches and migraines, either completely or partially. A study showed that 60 percent of the sexually active participants felt an improvement from migraine, 70 percent felt complete relief during a migraine, 37 percent experienced fewer cluster headache symptoms, and 91 percent felt moderate and complete relief from cluster headaches.
- Improves the quality of sleep
During an orgasm, the body secrets oxytocin, known as the love hormone, as well as endorphins. The effect of these two hormones is a sedative one and it induces relaxation and tranquil sleep. Regular quality sleep is known to prolong one’s lifespan, increase the energy levels, and strengthen the immunity, as pointed out on Health Line.
- Stronger immunity
According to a study, the participants who had regular sex, i.e. one to two times per week, experienced higher levels of immunoglobulin A whereas those who had irregular intercourse, that is, less per once weekly, had significantly lower levels of it.
- Boosts the confidence
Sexual activity, whether with a partner or solo, can rejuvenate the skin and make you look younger because of the estrogen secretion taking place. Namely, this is also backed up by a study that found a link between frequent sex and younger look (between 7 to 12 years) and the participants were also more comfortable and open about their sexuality and sexual identity.
- Social advantages
According to Health Line, oxytocin, which is released during sex, can strengthen the bond with your partner, in addition to the mutual pleasure. What’s more, fulfilling one another’s sexual desires is more satisfied with their relationship and its growth.
- Reduces the blood pressure
According to Web Md, research indicates that there is a connection between sexual intercourse and regulated blood pressure and one study found that intercourse reduced the systolic blood pressure.
- It is good for the heart
A quality sexual life is known to benefit the heart by elevating the heart rate. This physical activity maintains the estrogen and testosterone levels balanced. When these levels are not sufficient, the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis increases. What’s more, a study showed that men who had sexual intercourse twice in a week, at least, experienced 50 percent lower risk of heart illness in comparison with those who had less sex.
- Decreases pain
Orgasms are known to block body ache by releasing a hormone which increases one’s threshold for pain. But, stimulation without an orgasm can also be helpful and it was found to suppress pain in the legs and back and women experienced relief from menstrual cramps and arthritis.
- Minimizes stress
Intimacy with your partner is known to bring relief from stress and anxiety and hugging and touching trigger the release of oxytocin, which is the “feel good” hormone. When a person is aroused, as noted on Web Md, the brain releases a chemical which enlivens the pleasure and reward system.
- Benefits for both genders
When men have regular sexual intercourse, they reap the following benefits:
- Reduced risk of prostate cancer
- Lower chance of prostate cancer prior to the age of 70
- 50 percent less risk of mortality
Regular sexual intercourse in women is known to contribute to:
- Enhanced bladder control
- Reduction in incontinence
- Less premenstrual and menstrual cramps
- Increased fertility
- Stronger pelvic muscles
- Higher production of vaginal lubrication
What Are the Advantages of Masturbation?
This is also a healthy, natural, and safe sexual activity during which one explores the body, induces pleasure, and reduces sexual tension. It also holds a lot of benefits for the body and mind, according to Health Line. This being said, sexual stimulation through masturbation may improve your overall health in the following ways:
- Reduces stress
- Improves sleep
- Betters the mood
- Induces relaxation
- Alleviates cramps
- Removes sexual tension
- Enhances sexual intercourse
- Helps one understand sexual needs and desires
- It is pleasurable
Useful Tips on How to Embrace and Enjoy Your Sexuality
According to the American Sexual Health Association, enjoying our sexuality and understanding its effects on our overall well-being and health significantly contributes to the quality of our sexual health. But, there are other factors that need to be taken into consideration so that one can lead a healthy and thriving sexual life:
- Knowing and respecting the sexual rights of everyone
- Having accessibility to sexual information, education, and care
- Realizing that sexuality is a natural thing
- Being capable of experiencing pleasure, intimacy, and satisfaction when we desire
- Trying to avert unplanned pregnancy and STDs
- Seeking medical help when necessary
- Communicating about our sexual health with others, whether this is our sexual partner or medical personnel
How to Boost Your Libido Naturally
Libido or one’s sex drive plays a pivotal role in one’s sex life. The desire for sexual activity depends on various biological, psychological, and social factors, like personality, stress, work, family, way of life, medications, etc. Hence, often times, as pointed out on Mercola, people do not have a fulfilling sex life due to the lack of libido, among other things, despite being in a loving relationship. The following couple of advice offer effective solutions on how to include sex more often in your life by increasing your sex drive.
- Lower the intake of processed sugar- removing artificial sugar from your diet, especially fructose, can restore your libido naturally. This is because excessive sugar in the blood is known to suppress the gene which controls the sex hormones.
- Lead a healthier diet- a diet based on fruits, veggies, whole foods, legumes, and nuts is an excellent way to boost your sex drive.
- Exercise more often– physical activity significantly increases one’s desire for sexual intercourse. Therefore, opt for high-intensity interval training that will also better the production of the human growth hormone.
- Sufficient amount of vitamin D- absorbing adequate amounts of vitamin D from the sunrays on a daily basis will stimulate the body’s creation of vitamin D sulfate which is crucial in averting arterial plaque deposits associated with erectile dysfunction, as seen on
- Get enough rest- resting by taking afternoon naps and nighttime sleep (at least 7 hours) contributes to a higher sex drive.
- Minimize smoking and drinking– excessive smoking and alcohol intake is known to reduce one’s libido.
Final Thoughts on the Importance of a Fulfilling Sex Life
Without doubt, sexual intimacy offers a wide array of benefits in addition to the reproduction aspect. Namely, when one practices it on a more regular basis (1 to 2 times on a weekly basis), both the physical and mental health improve significantly and what’s more, we learn more about our body, desires, and personal preferences and thus, we strengthen the bond with our partners and better our overall quality of life. Of course, in order to lead an active sex life, we need to understand the basics of the meaning of sexual health and maintain an optimal sex drive by leading a healthy lifestyle as much as possible.