Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) Specialist
Embry Women’s Health offers Mesa, Arizona area patients access to rapid screening and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs. You will be given the information to prevent the spread of, and care for STDs, as well as education about safe sex practices.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) Q & A
What is a Sexually Transmitted Disease?
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are diseases which occur because of infections which are transmitted from one individual to another via sexual contact or intercourse. While many STD have associated symptoms that will bring the patient to see a doctor, they can occur without symptoms or can reveal symptoms months or even years following contraction of the disease. STDs are also called sexually transmitted infections, or STIs. It’s very common for individuals to use the term STD even when there are no symptoms present, or when it would be an STI. Many of the diseases can be effectively treated but some may cause extremely serious complications and can even be fatal if left undiagnosed.
What Types of STDs are there?
There are many types of STDs. Sadly, they are very common. More than 50% of all individuals in America will contract an STD or STI at least once in their lives. Types of STDs include:
- Chlamydia- This is the most common sexually transmitted infection in the United States. It is mostly asymptomatic in women and it is recommended that all sexually active women undergo screening for this infection annually until age 25. In women, this can cause infection of the fallopian tubes causing permanent damage leading to infertility. Therefore, it is very important to be screened for this condition.
- Genital Warts- Sometimes called venereal warts, these are caused by HPV (human papillomavirus). Warts are growths that appear in the genital area and looks like cauliflower. There are many subtypes of this virus and only certain types cause genital warts while others can cause cancer of the cervix and throat.
- Genital Herpes- This commonly causes painful ulcers. Once acquired, this virus stays with you for life although it can be successfully managed.
- Gonorrhea- This infection may cause discharge but can be asymptomatic in many women.
- Crabs or Pubic Lice- These are small insects that are found in pubic hair and elsewhere and can cause severe itching.
- Scabies- This is a parasitic infection in which mites burrow under the surface of the skin and cause an allergic reaction.
- Hepatitis B- This is infection of the liver that can cause jaundice and can be transmitted sexually. Chronic infection can also lead to liver cancer.
- HIV & AIDS
- Cervical Cancer- Most cervical cancers (more than 90%) are caused by Human Papillomavirus, or HPV which is sexually transmitted. Therefore, it can be considered a STD. HPV can also cause cancers at other sites such as vulva and throat.
- Molluscum Contagiosum- This can cause small bumps on the genital skin.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, or PID- This usually involves one or more of the sexually transmitted bacteria that moves from the vagina to the fallopian tubes and beyond and cause pelvic pain, fever, and sometimes abscess. It is a very serious infection that can cause infertility in many women.
- Syphilis- This can cause genital ulcer but can involve other organs.
- Trichomoniasis- This is a parasite that causes vaginal discharge, odor, and itching.
Can These Be Prevented? What Type of Treatments Are There?
People can protect themselves and each other from acquiring STDs. Employing safe sex technique such as using condoms helps an individual to significantly reduce the likelihood of contracting a sexually transmitted disease. However, this unfortunately does not eliminate the risk entirely. If you develop any symptoms that you think may be related to a STD, you should come in to be examined and undergo appropriate diagnostic testing or screening. If you are in a new relationship with a partner, this is also a good time to be screened for various STDs. Most STDs can be successfully treated and managed once diagnosed. Many conditions require treatment of all sexual partners in order to prevent reinfection. It is very important to follow instructions when treatment is provided. Treatment may require oral medication, injection, topical cream, or a procedure including surgery.
OUR PATIENTS SAY
I first chose to come to Embry Womens Health because it was near my home and they took my insurance. I’ve been coming back because JoEllen is AMAZING! The whole office is so welcoming and comforting, I’ve moved 20 miles away and I STILL go to see JoEllen for all of my women’s healthcare. I will literally plan my days off around an appointment so I can continue being a patient here.
I can’t say enough good things about Embry Women’s Health and hope to be able to be a patient for life!
5 Stars – Yelp – 11/13/2019
I still love this place. It’s my second year as a patient here, and they still treat me so well. Every concern that I had was taken seriously and my doctor gave me some things to help with a couple of them. The office also isn’t really cold (which I’ve found to be a problem at some offices) so you won’t be freezing during your exam. She’s definitely the best doctor I have been to and recommend to every woman to look into coming here. Also, all of your test results are available online through a patient portal, and you can also schedule new appointments and fill out all of your patient information forms ahead of time on there. This makes checking in for your appointment super quick and easy.
5 Stars – Yelp – 10/31/2019
This was my first visit at this office and it was so much better then a visit I’ve had at a different gynecologist. The ladies were genuinely friendly and helpful and all very knowledgeable. They make you feel comfortable and safe. It’s so hard to find a gynecologist that fits your needs and I’m very happy to say I found mine.
5 Stars – Yelp – 4/10/2018
Embry Women’s Health is committed to providing quality, affordable health care. We’re in-network with all major insurance plans, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna and UnitedHealthcare. No insurance? No problem. We offer a simple fee schedule for those who wish to pay out-of-pocket. Click the button below for our complete list and more information:
Instantly schedule an appointment online with Embry Women’s Health. This tool reflects real time availability. Same day appointments or last minute cancellations may be available by calling our office.
* We are no longer contracted with Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance. We do not know if or when this will change. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause our patients. Please call the office for self-pay rates.
Please do not schedule any COVID testing or COVID vaccine appointments here.
CLICK HERE to schedule a COVID appointment.
Words from our patients
JoEllen is AMAZING! Not only is she professional- she makes your whole experience comfortable. If you’re looking for a professional that never judges your situation and treats you very well- I would definitely recommend this office!
5 Stars – Yelp
It is refreshing to meet a practitioner who sees the whole patient and not just a series of symptoms. JoEllen is willing to spend the time to ask questions and really listen to the responses. I have seen JoEllen several times and I have always appreciated how much time she spends with each appointment and her pragmatic approach with solutions. I feel like my health drives the appointment and not the schedule. Finding JoEllen’s practice was like finding a needle in a haystack, a caring practitioner who encourages patients to listen to their bodies and to be their own best advocate.
5 Stars – 10/11/2018
Friendly staff. JoEllen is incredibly kind, patient and answers all of my questions whenever I see her. I don’t feel like I am being rushed when I am there, it is very nice.
5 Stars – 10/4/2018
I was super impressed. NP Eva was wonderfully personable and professional. Front desk staff (thanks, Mia) was kind and thoughtful. They have snacks and drinks in the waiting room. It’s super clean and the view is lovely. It sits right on the lake at Dobson Ranch.
5 Stars – 5/24/2021
“I started seeing Joellen earlier this year and I have had nothing but good experiences every time I have gone back. She is very down to earth and listens to any concerns. I would highly recommend Embry Womens Health.”
5 stars – 09/28/2018